My on-line carving instructor, Mary May, created a cornucopia project prior to Thanksgiving, 2017. I did not finish my rendition in time for the annual feast, but enjoyed the process.
Basswood was used for its workability. After the relief carving was completed I gave it a light spray of shellac and then “colorized” using diluted acrylic paints for a wash effect.
The result was interesting. Not sure if I prefer the natural look or the painted version. From a distance the painted version can almost look like a mere painting, whereas left natural it is more obviously carved.
This was a fun and relatively easy project.